Recent Water Damage Posts
How to prepare your Maryland business for flooding
With over 40 years of experience, SERVPRO Franchise professionals have restored flood damaged homes and businesses from coast to coast. Here are our SERVPRO approved tips for preparing your business for a flood.
BEFORE THE FLOOD
- Have a qualified professional elevate the furnace, water heater, electric panel if susceptble to flooding
- Install Check valves in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your business
- seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to avoid Seepage
- arrange to have a free Emergency Ready profile made for your business in advance so if the flood does happen, then you will be able to manage the restoration process remotely
- make sure you have flood insurance, flood insurance takes 30 days to get into affect so it is imperative that you have it long before you need it.
- Document your business. Take quality pictures of vehicles, Computers, inventory and office set up. You'll be glad you have this later.
During the flood:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches, or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical appliances
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water
- Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
After the Flood
- Listen for news reports to learn if the communities water supply is safe to drink
- Avoid floodwaters. Water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline, or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by flood waters
- return to the business only when authorities indicate it is safe
ABOUT SERVPRO OF THE MID/UPPER SHORE
SERVPRO of the Mid/Upper Shore are the flood clean up experts in the Eastern Shore area. IF a flood strikes your business, give SERVPRO of the Mid/Upper Shore a call, even minor floods have the potential to cause major damage to a structure when not treated quickly and properly and the clean up is often and overwhelming task. The SERVPRO team at SERVPRO of the Mid/Upper Shore is prepared to handle any size disaster and help make it like it never even happened.
Winterizing Your Kent Island Home
The cool, crisp days of fall are officially upon us, and with winter just around the corner, it’s time to put the memories of pool parties, backyard barbecues, and late-night summer soirées in the rearview mirror. But that doesn’t mean we have to swear off spending time outdoors until spring. With just a few adjustments, your alfresco space can get as much foot traffic as the rest of the home during the colder months.
1. Rearrange furniture
2. Opt for a muted color palette
3. Add accessories
4. Replace plants
5. Use a mix of materials
6. Invest in high-quality furniture that will last
7. Consider a larger-scale design project
Call your Franchise Professionals today. At SERVPRO of the Mid/Upper Shore, we make it "Like it never even happened." 410-758-8770
Flooded Basement in Queen Anne's MD
This flooded basement was quite large but our crews were able to quickly remove the water to begin drying.
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Queen Anne's basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
The flooding in this Queen Anne's home was caused by heavy rain runoff. Queen Anne's had received over several inches of rain that week and it overwhelmed the system.
We were onsite within an hour, to inspect the damage and to begin the water extraction process. In less than four days we had basement dry. We use advanced inspection and monitoring equipment to determine you’re your home’s structure is actually dry.
If water damage is not handled quickly and properly, it can cause severe damage to your home’s structure not to mention the potential harmful health effects of mold. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- We have advanced inspection and extraction equipment
Have Questions? Call Us Today – We’re Here To Help - 410-758-8770
Queen Annes, Caroline and Kent County 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Mid/Upper Shore is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 410-758-8770
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Mid/Upper Shore has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Mid/Upper Shore
SERVPRO of Mid/Upper Shore specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Preventing Water Damages
Some helpful tips for preventing water damage to your home may include checking your laundry water hoses for dry rot as well as checking appliance fittings for wear and tear.